Monday, December 15, 2008

A Dickens Of A Christmas

Every year on the second weekend of December, my hometown of Franklin hosts "A Dickens Of A Christmas" festival in the historic downtown area. They close off the streets. You can find vendors selling sugar plums, hot spiced cider, pretzels, roasted chestnuts and arts and crafts. There is dancing... Over 200 people in Dickens era costumes...
Lots of live music...a bell choir...a brass band...lots of street musicians and this is the Franklin High School Chamber Choir...
Wandering the streets are characters from A Christmas Carol...this is Ebenezer Scrooge...
The ghosts of Christmas Past and Christmas Present...
Jacob Marley and the ghost of Christmas Yet To Come (a long with some cute lady that I didn't know, but hey, she was having fun!)...
And even Father Christmas was there! Notice Rachel has her Starbucks in hand!
The Franklin Police even get in the spirit of things and dress as English Bobby's! But don't be fooled, he was on duty and was packing a gun (and a big stick)!
We went for a horse-drawn carriage ride and even sang "Jingle Bells"! But my favorite was the footman named John. We got our picture taken with him. He was funny and very charming...hmmm. wonder if he's single?! He reminded me of a pirate!
So if you're ever in Franklin at Christmas, be sure to take in the Dickens Christmas festival. It was a lot of fun.
Hope ya'll are keeping warm and cozy. It's supposed to be a stormy, cold, night here with an ice storm. I can't say I have ever been through one of those and hopefully it will just pass right on by! Have a good week, whatever you do, be blessed!
Hugs,
Victoria Lynn

7 comments:

Rachel said...

Mmm that Starbucks was yummy. And that guy was funny. ;) So was singing Jingle Bells as we rode along in the carriage. And don't forget the dachshund in a santa costume! (Too bad we can't dress Frederica up in such a costume. She has the perfect girth for it.)

Love,
Rachel :~)

Unknown said...

The town you've moved to is so charming, Victoria! You are so fortunate to live there! Wow, this is making me want to move to your town...
...on second thought, leave So Cal??? Nawww...but Franklin is a nice thought! :)

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Hi Victoria Lynn,
What fun that must have been. It sounds like a very charming town. I would love to live in a small town, especially at Christmastime! I live in Charlottetown; small but losing its quaintness and charm quickly as the years roll by. Our population has exploded in the past fifteen years.
Looks like you had a wonderful time and I thank you for taking us along. Merry CHRISTmas!

Blessings,
Sandi

Nerm said...

Great photos, Victoria, aren't you glad we live in such a neat little town? So glad you are enjoying it.
This Dickens of Christmas has become sort of famous around here. Liked your picture with your carriage driver. Nerm

Tracie~MyPetiteMaison said...

This looks like so much fun. We used to go to The Dickens Faire in San Francisco each year, my best friend and I... I so miss it. Thank you for sharing, it brought back many good memories and you two are having such fun - I love your photos. I'll have to remind my friend when we talk long distance over the holiday ;)
xo~Tracie

Donna Lynn said...

Maybe you will run into John again sometime, and the mystery will be solved...hummmm, could be promising for sure!

XO,
Donna Lynn
Oh, and BTW, I am sooooo jealous of you getting to live in the South!

Brenda said...

I have been to Franklin several times.I will have to remember this for next year it looks like fun.
Brenda